domingo, 7 de agosto de 2011

TUMBA DE STAUNTON


En el Kensal Green Cemetery de Londres se encuentra la tumba de Howard Staunton (1810-1874). He aquí una fotografía reciente de la misma:


Foto © Frank Mayer

En ella encontramos la siguiente inscripción inspirada en unos versos de William Shakespeare:

O, that I could but
call this dead to life!
It were enough to
fright the realm of France:
Were but his picture left
amongst you here. It would
amaze the proudest
of you all. Give me his
body, that I may bear it hence,
And give it burial
as beseems his worth.

Shakespeare, Henry VI, Part I



Sin embargo, debemos hacer notar que el original de William Shakespeare dice así:

(Interviene Sir William Lucy)

O, that I could but call this dead to life!
It were enough to fright the realm of France:
Were but his picture left amongst you here,
It would amaze the proudest of you all.
Give me their bodies, that I may bear them hence,
And give them burial as beseems their worth.

Shakespeare, Henry VI, Part I

No hay comentarios: